Diagnosed as having DIABETES TYPE2 in December 2008. Since en I have had several BLOOD TESTS my doctor was pleased with my DIABETES result as it had dropped to 6.8 (whatever that means) due to me losing a stone and seven pounds and changing my diet considerably. My doctor was not pleased with my HBP and has put me on a second HBP pill ( amlodipine 5 mg once a day) I am on Perindripol 4MG one a day. Why would my doctor put me on a second HBP pill ? . When he said he was giving me another HBP pill I thought he was taking me off my Perindripol.

Seriously you need to go back to your GP and ask him to explain to you what living with diabetes means and what markers he and yourself can use to monitor your condition. Guidelines have been written about the best way to treat diabetes, and the most important factor was patient awareness of their condition.
The "6.8" is probably your HbA1c result, this is a marker in your blood that tells you how good your sugar control has been over the long term. You can also get short term markers called "BM" measurements, you may have had your finger pricked a few times for this.
In diabetics like yourself a HbA1c of 6.8% is very good (above 8.0% is when problems start to occur), well done for losing the weight, it's one of the most effective ways to treat diabetes.
Your doctor initially started you on Perindopril - this is an ACE inhibitor and is often a first line treatment for hypertension. In hypertension that is not controlled with one drug another different class of drug can be added to create a synergistic effect. Your doctor added another type of drug called amlodopine - this is a calcium channel blocker, it works in a different way but brings about the same effect.
It's very common for people to be on more than one drug for hypertensive control. Especially an ace inhibitor and CCB, as you have been put on. Given together they have been proven to have very good results in many studies.
Just wondering if you smoke? Because you really shouldnt.

0 comments