I was born with Congenital CMV Infection
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytomegalov...
http://www.congenitalcmv.org/home.htm
It left me with hearing loss: deaf 100% in right & deaf 60% in left
Im very lucky as i could have been born with blindness, total deafness,abnormalities, brain damage etc...
I can still keep losing hearing, as it caused me to lose the hairs on
my cochlea that produced sound, down through a hole somewhere in my ear... which needed surgery to block up at age 8/9 but can come back...
I am wondering, since my mum had this while pregnant with me (she didnt know it as it produces flu like symptoms and nothing else) and it gave me this, and since the CMV still flows in my veins
If im able to pass it on to my unborn child now..
.
I have heard i am immune to having it again as ive had it before and its still in my system for life so i am protected from having it again
Does this mean i cant pass it on?
I'm confused, as ive tried to get information but its all about the women who are now pregnant with CMV not someone who was born with it and pregnant now...
my first app with my ob is on wed, im 17wks, and im wondering if i can get info from anyone now before hand,
Anyone here had it?
Anyone know about it?
Anyone here born with it?
Thanks for the help in advance.

CMV are a part of the TORCH viruses and parasites that can cause congenital defects in babies born to mothers with acute infections. Acute infection means it is a new infection recently acquired during pregnancy that resulted in the fetus and or newborn exposure to the virus causes developmental defects and acute infection in newborns.
Infections acquired during other times besides during pregnancy is usually like any other virus in which one gets ill or asymptomatic and the body fights off the infection and gets well after ones immunity kicks in. The virus is retained in the person for life but it isn't as prevalent and infectious in the person as the immune system keeps it in check. It does not cause exposure to the fetus.
You will not pass it on to your children. Usually it is passed on when a person is acutely infected where the virus is more commonly present in higher amounts throughout the body.

You will not pass it on to your child. You have developed antibodies for this infection (that is why you can't get it again). Your unborn child is protected by those same antibodies because you share blood.
Don't worry. History won't repeat.

0 comments